Monday, April 27, 2015

Chapter 14: A Book From An Author You Love That You Haven't Read Yet


The Julius House, Charlaine Harris

I love Charlaine Harris. The Southern Vampire (Sookie Stackhouse) series is hilarious, mysterious, and thrilling. Every time I read another, I feel like Charlaine and I could just sit on a porch with some iced tea and rocking chairs and chat all day long. In true Southern style, she writes outrageous stories that still pass cotillion. So, I picked up this title from one of her early series to see if Sookie and friends were the standard or the anomaly.

Now, to be honest, Sookie is just better. A lot of that is because the Aurora Teagarden series is a much earlier work. Roe is not as sassy as Sookie, but she still makes a fine female lead. This is not the first in the series, so maybe I've missed some foundation story that would have made Roe more likeable, but I still enjoyed it.

It's unlikely I will pick up this whole series. It didn't suck me in the way the other did. But I can see how it laid the groundwork for Ms. Harris' well-deserved popularity. Her writing has come a long way over the decades, and I am glad that first editor gave her shot.

If you like southern mysteries, strong female leads, and aren't put off by frequent mentions of money, check out this series. If you loved The Southern Vampires and are looking for more of the same, find a more current series. This one is dated and immature compared to Sookie. Overall, I give it 3 Marias. I won't read it again, but I don't hate myself for reading it the first time.



No comments:

Post a Comment