Thursday, April 23, 2015

Chapter 13: A Book With Magic


Queen of the Tearling, Erika Johansen

This book has a lot to like- strong female lead, mystery and intrigue, political philosophy, and a healthy dose of profanity. Now, I'm not going to pretend that it comes close to competing with The Books With Magic. Kelsea is no Boy Who Lived. But this is a good book.

My biggest gripe with this book is that it is difficult to find a place to stop. Not because the action is so compelling, but because of 434 pages, there are only 14 chapters. Let me do the math for you, that averages out to some longass chapters, and they are not broken down into pieces. That's it. That's my big complaint. That and I can't decide whether it's pronounced Teerling, rhymes with peer, or Tairling, rhymes with pair.

I also got tired of reading Kelsea hiss when she was hurt. And I really didn't need reminders that Thomas is fat. Or that Kelsea is. But ... meh.

I did like that not all my questions were answered. This is a good opening to a series that has potential. I think some of the more shocking events were supposed to take me by surprise, but there was enough foreshadowing, that they just confirmed what I already suspected. So, either Ms. Johansen and I think alike, or she did an artful job of crafting peaks without then telling us
 *** HEY, HERE'S A RISE IN CONFLICT! ***



What? You don't like that, either? I might still be a little mad at Zusak.

I also really like the setup for the hero. She is naïve yet educated. Her sheltered childhood gives her an interesting position from which to examine her kingdom in a way unlike many royals. Of course she is inheriting a decimated kingdom from her gluttonous uncle, but she sweeps in to rule with a new attitude. It's interesting to watch her develop as a leader and discover more about herself along the way.

I can't talk about liking this book without also mentioning her captain, Mace. He's your standard, world-weary tough guy that no one wants to take on. He's brusque when he's not silent, but he's also lovable and admirable. His name is also Lazarus, so I expect to see something done with that in future installments.

So, this is a good one. I might even read it again if I really get into the series (a new one is out this summer). It won't be in my permanent library. And I don't daydream about all the homeschool activities we can do when the kids read it (Seriously, think about how the Harry Potter series would differ if he accepted Draco's friendship in book one. Think about it.). I give it four Marias.

No comments:

Post a Comment