Thursday, February 12, 2015

Chapter 6: A Book That Was Originally Written In a Different Language

The Seventh Day: A Novel, Yu Hua, translation by Allan H. Barr
I'm going to refrain from revealing much of the plot of this book because I want you to read it. Seriously. It's not long, and it is a really good book.

Yang Fei has died and realizes there is no one to mourn him or give him proper burial. He spends seven days looking over his life and the lives of those around him. He is left to wander a place for the unburied and sees worldly stories from a new perspective. It is a beautiful tale, given to us by a real storyteller.

I don't know much about Chinese culture (cultures? Can over a billion people really just form a singular culture?), so I found myself wondering if I was really grasping the story on a deeper level. Don't let that dissuade you. Yu, with the help of Barr's artful translation, brings outsiders into Yang Fei's world easily. The novel is both absurd and tragic, surreal and very human. It discusses the personal- family and romantic relationships- and broader topics like corruption and greed. In illustrating these things, I felt connected. No matter your politics, religion, or wealth, we are all human and we all die. That doesn't make this a dark, fatalistic tale, though.

My favorite relationships in the story are Yang Fei and his father; the policeman and criminal; and the couple next door. Each illustrates a different form of pure love, even when completely dysfunctional. Their souls are so entwined, yet each comes to a different resolution, and each is fitting. This might be what I enjoyed most- the idea that love is not a cookie-cutter concept. That perfect love for me is not perfect for someone else.

About the translation- Dr. Barr is a professor of Chinese at Pomona College, focusing on Chinese literature. I would love to sit in on one of his classes. The art of translation is not as simple as a one-to-one correspondence, especially when you throw in a completely different alphabet/vocabulary. Among romance languages, for example, an idiom may not translate exactly, but it's close enough to share an idea. Barr translates ideas as much as he translates words. The text flows smoothly and maintains beauty that could easily have been lost.

I'm happy to have a recommendation with no caveats. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment